I lived in Sydney, Australia for a year back in 2008-2009 and I worked at a cafe called Speedos Cafe that was right at the North end of famous Bondi Beach. Nestled between the hottest restaurant in the evenings and busiest surf school by day, this was THE spot to grab a delicious bite to eat and watch the comings and goings of Australian celebrities and locals alike. There was a lot of great food there and one thing that I always wanted to duplicate was their Bircher Muesli.
This creamy treat, originally from Switzerland, is perfect for a breakfast on the go and you can essentially fill it with whatever you want.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup rolled oats (I actually used my steel cut oat blend from Rogers Foods)
- 1 cup thick greek yogurt (I used Vanilla flavour but plain works too)
- 2 tbsps toasted nuts & seeds (I did sunflower seeds, slivered almonds and chopped pecans)
- 2 apples, peeled & grated
- 2 tbsps maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Bananas or Berries would be nice too but I didn’t have any!
Pour one cup of rolled oats into a bowl and cover with about 1/2 inch water, cover the bowl and let soak over night. You can toast the nuts and seeds either the night before or that morning.
In the morning, uncover the oat mixture (should be a thick, moist consistency by now) and add the grated apples and lemon juice. Give a quick stir and then add the remaining ingredients and mix it all together.
I like to put mine in a jar so I can putz around the house with it, but it’s great in a bowl too! Other recipes call for berries or bananas and that would be great too. The next time I make this, I’m going to use coconut and chopped dried apricots (because that’s what they did at Speedos).
Tell me what you put in yours!